Let’s start with the bad news…according to an article I read in Forbes, 90% of business start-ups fail for 4 reasons:
- Launching before bugs are fixed
- Lack of funds
- Not listening to what their customers want
- Not learning from other’s mistakes
Now here’s the good news. Your big idea can survive the start-up process, you just need to do one thing well! It has nothing to do with your logo design, color scheme of your website or if you’re chatting LIVE on Facebook…although these all are things to consider when marketing your brand.
I started my career in advertising as an assistant to an account executive right out of college for $12,000 a year! I followed my AE to all of her appointments, took notes, got coffee and did the one thing that has benefited me the most in my 20-year career. I LISTENED.
Listening is a skill that I will never take for granted because it’s the one thing that keeps me in business. So what do I listen for?
Pain. Problems. Things that hold people back.
If you find out what is keeping someone from becoming the ______ (fill in the blank) they want to be, you can create a solution. No more wondering if people will want to buy what you’re offering. No more waking up in the middle of the night hoping you sold something so you can pay your bills.
Here are a few questions I ask people and then take the time to listen. People want to talk about themselves and if you let them, as a business person or marketer, you will find out how you can help. When you find out how you can help, you find your niche product or service. (Write that down!)
Here they are:
- What is your biggest struggle?
- What is holding you back from reaching your goal?
- What are you really good at?
- What do you need help with?
- Where do you look for help?
- What is the number one complaint you have had with other companies?
- What is the number one thing that you wish people would do without you asking for it?
- What do you notice first when you check to see if the job has been done right?
- What is the biggest thing that we can do to move your business forward?
Helping is the NEW SELLING!
The biggest PROBLEM that people have is YOUR ticket to enormous prosperity. FIX a problem and you’ll make more money.
I’d love to hear from you – what can I help you with? What is holding you back from building the business you want and living a life you love?
Image by Bench